James is a First-Degree Black Belt with the American Taekwondo Association (ATA).
- James loves to travel, explore, and make new discoveries whenever possible; whether that's a new restaurant down the street or a mountain view on the other side of the globe.
- When he can't travel, he enjoys reading and expanding his understanding of things. This is especially true on topics of anthropology, history, theology, and philosophy. He also likes to write on these topics from time to time.
- He loves board games! In his words, "probably a little bit too much, as I have more than 100 at home on a custom shelf which I built for them..."
- He has been cooking for much of his life and he loves to do it. He is always trying new recipes and experimenting with new flavor combinations in his kitchen at home.
- Music is one of his life's greatest joys, both to listen and to sing and play himself. He loves everything from Simon and Garfunkel to Metallica. He says "a good song can lift the soul more effectively than a sunrise."
- He and his wife, Jamie, love to watch movies in their spare time. They are currently working their way through IMDB's top 250 movies.
- He is an avid collector and trader of world coins.